Bioinformatics is information science applied to biology. The creation and maintenance of databases of biological information and the provision of an interface to access, search, and query the databases.
Edited by: Diana Marco
Selected recent hot-topics in the application of advanced omics methods to the field of microbial ecology.
BioinformaticsBioinformatics: The main task of bioinformatics is the creation and maintenance of databases of biological information. Nucleic acid sequences and protein sequences databases comprise the majority of such databases. This involves the storage and organization of millions of nucleotides and provision of an interface whereby researchers can both access, search, and query existing information and submit new entries. Perhaps the most important task in bioinformatics involves the analysis of sequence information. Computational Biology is the name that normally refers to this process.
- Bioinformatics Books A comprehensive list of books on bioinformatics, computational biology and functional genomics
- Current Issues in Molecular Biology
- European Bioinformatics Institute
The EBI is a centre for research and services in bioinformatics. The Institute manages bioinformatics databases of biological data including nucleic acid, protein sequences and macromolecular structures. The mission of the European Bioinformatics Institute is to ensure that the growing body of bioinformatics information from molecular biology and genome research is placed in the public domain and is accessible freely to the scientific community.
- The Bioinformatics Organization
A bioinformatics organization to facilitate world-wide communications and collaborations between bioinformatic scientists and technicians. The Bioinformatics Organization provides these individuals, as well as the public at large, free and open access to bioinformatics methods and materials for and from scientific research, bioinformatics software development, and education.
- Epigenetics: Current Research and Emerging Trends
- Next-generation Sequencing: Current Technologies and Applications
- Genome Analysis: Current Procedures and Applications
See also: Current molecular-biology books
- The Prion Protein
- Plant Genomics
- Methylotrophs and Methylotroph Communities
- Microbial Ecology
- Plant-Microbe Interactions in the Rhizosphere
- Porcine Viruses
- Lactobacillus Genomics and Metabolic Engineering
- Viruses of Microorganisms
- Protozoan Parasitism
- Genes, Genetics and Transgenics for Virus Resistance in Plants
- DNA Tumour Viruses
- Pathogenic Escherichia coli
- Postgraduate Handbook
- Molecular Biology of Kinetoplastid Parasites
- Bacterial Evasion of the Host Immune System
- Illustrated Dictionary of Parasitology in the Post-Genomic Era
- Next-generation Sequencing and Bioinformatics for Plant Science
- The CRISPR/Cas System
- Brewing Microbiology
- Brain-eating Amoebae
- Foot-and-Mouth Disease Virus